Tooth-Colored Fillings – Bloomington, IN
Fix Dental Decay Without Sacrificing the Look of Your Smile
At Barco Family Dentistry, we’re focused on providing our patients with preventive care so you don’t have to deal with larger inconveniences down the road. We hope to save all of our patients time, hassle, and money by taking care of the small problems so they can maintain a healthy and beautiful smile for life. Dr. Barco, your dentist in Bloomington, uses the latest technology and techniques at his practice so that his patients don’t have to sacrifice the look of their grin to maintain their oral health. That’s why he offers tooth-colored fillings to treat cavities.
What are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
You may notice some people have silver or amalgam fillings that stick out like a sore thumb in their mouths. Nowadays, most dental professionals utilize tooth-colored fillings that are made from a composite resin consisting of fine particles of glass and acrylic to fill in damage caused by decay. It closes the space off to protect the root of the cavity-ridden tooth from harmful oral bacteria.
The process of getting a dental filling in Bloomington can be completed in a single visit to our office. First, we’ll clear the damaged tooth of any decay and debris and sanitize it. We’ll then fill the area with the composite resin and cure it using a special light. After the substance has hardened, Dr. Barco will make any final adjustments and make sure your bite is even.
What are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Most dentists offer tooth-colored fillings over metal ones because they’re safer for patients and offer a variety of benefits. The most obvious advantage of composite resin is that each filling can be specially color-matched to the shade of your teeth so it’s virtually unnoticeable. Some other advantages include:
- Safer for Teeth. Metal can expand and contract and put pressure on your tooth, causing it to crack and even break. Composite resin doesn’t do this, making these fillings safer for your teeth.
- Restored Strength. Tooth-colored fillings are bonded to your tooth, restoring its strength.
- No Tooth Discoloration. Silver or amalgam fillings are known to cause tooth discoloration. Composite resin won’t cause this.
- Long-Lasting Solution. Tooth-colored fillings can last as long as 15 years with the proper care.
- Preserves More of the Natural Tooth Structure. Unlike with metal fillings, tooth-colored ones require a minimal amount of your natural tooth structure to be altered or removed in order to be placed.
How Do I Care For My Filling?
Caring for your repaired teeth is easier than you may think. They really don’t require any special care, but it’s best to follow these tips to help your fillings last:
- Brush twice each day with a fluoride toothpaste and floss daily.
- Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash daily.
- Replace sugary and acidic beverages like juice and soda with water.
- Avoid sticky, crunchy, and hard foods when possible.
- Visit Dr. Barco for your semi-annual checkups and cleanings.
If you have any questions about how we can repair your smile and fortify your oral health with tooth-colored fillings, don’t hesitate to contact us!